Wednesday, November 23, 2011

November 23, 2011

Quick Wine Review: *****

Tonight is Thanksgiving eve, so last chance to eat a normal meal before ridiculously over stuffing ourselves.  Before going out to eat, we started off the night with some wine.  My brother's recommendation was a cab sav from California, not Virginia (ahem).  It was a pretty tasty wine, but I wouldn't say it was anything spectacular.  It was on the dryer side and wasn't as smooth as other cab's I've had in the past.

We decided to go out to dinner at Pappadeux to stalk my mom's dinner party.  I had some delicious fried calamari, shrimp cocktail and fried alligator.  Yummy. Afterwards, we went to the grocery store to get the final ingredients for tomorrow's Thanksgiving fest.  I'm pretty excited to start the holiday season!! When we got back home, we spent some time in the backyard with the puppies and then decided to finish off the night with some more wine.  The wine of choice was a barbera from Italy, which my Dad has really taken a liking to from our trip to Wine Country, USA.  I'm surprised since this is one of the older vintage's I've tried.  The barbera is a less dry wine with a bit of spiciness, but overall I think this is a pretty good wine and it is quite an enjoyable wine to sip.  We are going to watch the final episode of Harry Potter while finishing off the wine, so it will be the perfect way to bring in Turkey Day!

Name: Joel Gott 815
Vintage: 2009
Cork Type: Conventional
Grape: Cabernet Sauvignon
Origin: St. Helena, Napa County, California
Alcohol Content: 13.9%




Name: Barbera D'Asti - Castello del Poggio
Vintage: 2004
Cork Type: Conventional
Grape: Barbera
Origin: D'Asti, Italy
Alcohol Content: 13.5%


1 comment:

  1. That barbera was filled with spices! It was almost on the level of a zinfandel.

    ReplyDelete