Wednesday, December 28, 2011

December 27, 2011

Quick Wine Review: *****

I had a wonderful Christmas holiday with my family in Beaumont. We had lots of delicious food, dessert and of course wine.  We drank several repeat wines and a couple new wines.  Unfortunately I did not keep good notes so I'll pass on the Christmastime reviews.

I did get several great gifts to enhance my wine experience.  My brother got me this great Venturi device that quickly aerates the wine.  This will come in handy with several of the cheap wines that need a lot of breathing to smooth out the intense bite.  I also got a decanter, so I am excited about all the wine reviews to come in the future.  Most importantly we just stocked up on wine! The wine fridge is back to its home and nice and happy and filled.  We bought $150 worth of wine that should keep us busy for a while.  Several Californian wines, French, Italian and Spanish.  It should give me great material for the next month or so.

Tonight was our first night back from Beaumont.  We were busy trying to get all of the gifts out of the boxes and into their new homes.  After a struggle to get the wine fridge back to it's original location, we decided it was time for some wine.  We drank one of our new pick ups from Spec's - a California Pinot Noir.  I was pretty excited about this wine because it got a gold medal at the 2010 Ultimate Wine Challenge, and it was less than $7!  The first sip proved to have a bit of a bite behind it, but I was still optimistic as running the wine through the new Venturi would soften the taste a bit.  The Venturi run was a success and it did taste a lot better than the initial tasting.  I still wasn't completely overwhelmed by the taste considering it was a gold medal winner.  I have definitely had better Pinot Noir's around a similar price point.  Altogether it was a fairly drinkable wine, but only when allowed to breathe either through decanting for some time or a quick run through a Venturi device.

Name: Barefoot Pinot Noir
Vintage: 2010
Cork Type: Synthetic
Grape: Pinot Noir
Origin: Modesto, California
Alcohol Content: 12.5%

No comments:

Post a Comment